21 February 2017: Dragonflies and Damselflies
Ian has started adding Dragonflies and Damselflies to the Other Wildlife section of the website.
6 Jan 2017 IMPORTANT: Change of Business Structure
From 1 January 2017, the company Birdway Pty Ltd is no longer trading and instead Ian is operating as a sole trader. The increasing abundance and availability of good bird photos on the internet has resulted in declining sales making the cost and reporting requirements of a company unjustifiable.
This has several immediate effects:
- GST is no longer charged on Australian sales
- Invoices are issued by Ian, not Birdway, and the bank account details for payment are different
- Electronic books are available directly from Ian and not via the Apple Store, Google Play or the Kobo Book Store
9 July 2016: The New Design:
- All bird galleries have been updated.
- All bird species are now in IOC sequence.
The old Home Page was too big for mobile devices and contained too much information. Its main function is now to provide high-level information about the website and links to search and information pages. The Family Thumbnails have been moved to the Visual Links pages; recent additions have been moved to a Recent Additions page; and News has been moved to this page.
15 December 2015: Design Guidelines
Design changes are not limited to making the layout flexible so that pages will fit properly on smaller screens. The redesign provides a great opportunity to improve the layout and ease of use of the website. These improvements, visible on this page include:
- A drop-down Menu at top left of every page
- A menu bar on the top and bottom of every page
- A Google Search box for Birdway at the bottom of every page
- A Search button at the top left of every page to take you down to the Google Search
A consistent appearance and choice of colours to indicate function:
- Dark blue background for headers and footers
- Black or dark grey for the body for top level pages, global family thumbnails and species photo pages
- A dark green background for pages relating to Australasian birds - index pages and family thumbnails
- A chestnut background for pages with New World thumbnails
- A bright blue background for pages with Old World thumbnails
- Yellow text for headings
- White text for normal paragraphs
- Sky blue for links including buttons, thumbnail borders, menu items and thumbnail borders
8 September 2015: Website Milestones!
Lesser Sooty Owl is the 700th Australian bird species (78% of total) on the website; Ouvea Parakeet was the 1500th global bird species (15% of total).
5 August 2015: Taxonomic Sequence
Ian is replacing the Birdlife International taxonomic sequence of birds with the IOC World Bird List.
Page revised on 6 January 2017